Learn English through Stories Level 3 ⭐ Wedding Test - Emotional English Story for Listening Practic

English Storyland

Speed:
Current subtitle

Sentence navigator

Progress

1 / 176
0:00 - 0:02
My name is Elizabeth.
我的名字是伊丽莎白。
0:02 - 0:04
I am 23 years old.
我23岁了。
0:04 - 0:08
I need to tell you about a girl named Arabella.
我要告诉你一个叫阿拉伯拉的女孩。
0:08 - 0:11
She moved into our apartment building.
她搬进了我们的公寓大楼。
0:11 - 0:16
She was around my age, kind, and confident.
她在我的年龄左右,善良,自信。
0:16 - 0:18
My mother loved her.
妈妈爱她。
0:18 - 0:22
My mother said to me, look at Arabella.
妈妈告诉我,看看阿拉伯。
0:22 - 0:25
She's so responsible, so organized.
她如此负责,如此有组织。
0:25 - 0:28
You should learn something from her.
你应该从她身上学到一些东西。
0:29 - 0:39
Try to be more like her, I rolled my eyes at first, but after a while, it began to bother me. I didn't dislike Arabella.
试着更像她,我一开始就滚动了眼睛,但过了一会儿,它开始打扰我,我不喜欢阿拉贝拉。
0:40 - 0:47
I didn't even know her that well, but hearing her name all the time made me angry.
我甚至不知道她那么好,但听到她的名字一直让我生气。
0:47 - 0:51
It had been three months since Arabella moved in.
阿拉伯利亚搬进来已经三个月了。
0:52 - 0:57
One afternoon, my mother said, Arabella's boyfriend had proposed.
有一天下午,我妈妈说,阿拉贝拉的男朋友提议了。
0:58 - 1:00
Arabella is getting married next month.
阿拉贝拉将于下个月结婚。
1:01 - 1:02
I was shocked.
我震惊了。
1:02 - 1:04
I looked at my mother.
我看着我的母亲。
1:04 - 1:06
I said, what already?
我说,已经怎么了?
1:07 - 1:08
How old is she?
她多大年纪?
1:08 - 1:10
My mother said she was 24.
妈妈说她24岁了。
1:11 - 1:12
I couldn't believe it.
我不能相信它。
1:13 - 1:14
Arabella was so young.
阿拉贝拉太年轻了。
1:15 - 1:18
Two weeks later, Arabella got married.
两个星期后,阿拉贝拉结婚了。
1:18 - 1:20
She wore a beautiful white dress.
她穿着一件漂亮的白色衣服。
1:21 - 1:22
She looked happy.
她看起来很开心。
1:23 - 1:25
I didn't talk to Arabella much.
我没有和阿拉伯拉多说话。
1:25 - 1:29
Still, I didn't wish her any harm.
尽管如此,我并没有祝愿她任何伤害。
1:29 - 1:32
I hoped things would go well for her.
我希望事情对她来说会很好。
1:32 - 1:36
Two days later, everything changed.
两天后,一切都改变了。
1:36 - 1:39
I came home from work that evening.
那天晚上我从工作回来。
1:39 - 1:43
I opened the door to our apartment and there she was.
我打开了公寓的门,她就在那里。
1:44 - 1:49
Arabella, sitting on our couch in our living room, I froze.
阿拉贝拉坐在我们客厅的沙发上,我冻死了。
1:50 - 1:51
Her face was pale.
她的脸是苍白的。
1:51 - 1:54
Her eyes were red and swollen.
她的眼睛是红色的和肿胀。
1:54 - 1:56
She had been crying.
她一直在哭。
1:57 - 1:59
My mother was sitting beside her.
妈妈坐在她旁边。
1:59 - 2:01
She was crying too.
她也哭了。
2:02 - 2:04
Next to them was Arabella's mother.
他们旁边是阿拉伯拉的母亲。
2:04 - 2:07
She was holding my mother's hand.
她抓住了我母亲的手。
2:07 - 2:10
People from the building began to gather.
楼上的人们开始聚集起来。
2:11 - 2:13
The word had spread quickly.
这个词迅速传播。
2:13 - 2:17
The bride had come back on the third day of her marriage.
未婚夫在她结婚的第三天回来了。
2:18 - 2:23
My mother looked up and saw me. Her eyes were full of tears.
妈妈抬头看着我,她的眼睛充满了泪水。
2:24 - 2:27
She said, Go to your room!
她说,去你的房间!
2:27 - 2:28
I nodded.
我点了点。
2:28 - 2:30
I didn't ask any questions.
我没有问任何问题。
2:31 - 2:34
I just turned and walked down the hall.
我刚刚转过身来,走下大厅。
2:34 - 2:37
Everyone wanted to know what had happened.
每个人都想知道发生了什么。
2:37 - 2:39
Everyone had advice.
每个人都有建议。
2:40 - 2:43
They tried to talk to Arabella.
他们试图和阿拉贝拉谈话。
2:43 - 2:46
They told her what she should have done.
他们告诉她她应该做什么。
2:46 - 2:48
What she shouldn't have done.
她不该做的事情。
2:48 - 2:49
What was right.
什么是对的。
2:49 - 2:50
What was wrong.
什么是错的。
2:51 - 2:53
But no one told me anything.
但没有人告诉我什么。
2:54 - 2:56
Maybe they thought I was too young.
也许他们认为我太年轻了。
2:56 - 2:59
Maybe they thought I wouldn't understand.
也许他们以为我不会理解。
3:00 - 3:02
So, I stayed quiet.
所以,我保持沉默。
3:03 - 3:04
Then when evening.
然后,当晚上。
3:04 - 3:04
...
...
3:04 - 3:06
I heard my parents talking.
我听到父母在说话。
3:07 - 3:08
I was in my room.
我在我的房间里。
3:08 - 3:11
The door was slightly open.
门稍微开了。
3:11 - 3:14
My mother was talking to my father.
妈妈正在和我父亲说话。
3:15 - 3:19
She said, tomorrow you need to go to Arabella's in -laws.
她说,明天你需要去阿拉贝拉的法律。
3:20 - 3:21
Talk to them.
跟他们说话。
3:21 - 3:24
Ask them to take her back.
请他们把她带回来。
3:24 - 3:25
Mistakes happen.
错误发生了。
3:25 - 3:28
There has to be some kind of solution.
必须有某种解决方案。
3:29 - 3:32
Marriages don't just end like this.
婚姻不只是这样结束。
3:32 - 3:34
My father agreed.
父亲同意了。
3:34 - 3:35
He said he would go.
他说他会去的。
3:36 - 3:38
The next morning they left.
第二天早上,他们离开了。
3:38 - 3:40
I stayed home.
我留在家里。
3:40 - 3:43
Arabella was upstairs with her brother.
阿拉贝拉和她的哥哥在楼上。
3:43 - 3:46
I didn't have the courage to go up there.
我没有勇气爬到那里。
3:47 - 3:51
I didn't have the courage to ask her what had happened.
我没有勇气问她发生了什么事。
3:51 - 3:59
So I stayed downstairs, waiting, praying that they would come back with good news.
所以我站在楼下,等待,祈祷他们会带着好消息回来。
3:59 - 4:01
They returned in the evening.
他们晚上回来了。
4:02 - 4:06
I was sitting on the couch when the door opened.
我坐在沙发上,门打开了。
4:09 - 4:11
I looked up.
我抬头看了。
4:11 - 4:16
Arabella's mother was holding a white bed sheet in her hands.
阿拉贝拉的母亲手里拿着一张白色的床单。
4:16 - 4:19
Her face was full of anger.
她的脸充满了愤怒。
4:20 - 4:22
She yelled at Arabella.
她在阿拉伯拉发出尖叫声。
4:22 - 4:24
She screamed at her.
她对她大喊大叫。
4:24 - 4:29
And then she said something I will never forget.
然后她说了一句话,我永远不会忘记。
4:29 - 4:36
She said, it would have been better if girls like Arabella were never born.
她说,如果像阿拉贝拉这样的女孩永远不会出生,那就更好了。
4:36 - 4:39
I should never have had a daughter.
我从来不应该有女儿。
4:40 - 4:44
It would have been better if you had died with your father.
如果你和你的父亲一起死了,那就更好了。
4:45 - 4:47
My heart stopped.
我的心停止了。
4:47 - 4:50
I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
我不敢相信我听到的。
4:50 - 4:55
My mother looked at me and said, Take Arabella upstairs.
妈妈看着我,说,把阿拉贝拉带上楼。
4:56 - 4:57
I nodded.
我点了点。
4:57 - 5:00
I stood up and walked over to Arabella.
我站起来,走向阿拉伯利亚。
5:01 - 5:06
I gently took her by the arm and led her toward the stairs.
我轻轻地握住她的胳膊,带她走向楼梯。
5:06 - 5:10
I still didn't know what had caused all of this.
我仍然不知道是什么导致了这一切。
5:10 - 5:15
No one had told me. Arabella's mother didn't stop at words.
没有人告诉我,阿拉贝拉的母亲没有停止说话。
5:15 - 5:17
She raised her hand.
她举起了手。
5:18 - 5:22
She slapped Arabella right across the face.
她把阿拉贝拉打在脸上。
5:22 - 5:24
Arabella didn't fight back.
阿拉伯拉没有反击。
5:25 - 5:27
She didn't defend herself.
她没有捍卫自己。
5:27 - 5:29
She just stood there crying.
她只是站在那里哭泣。
5:29 - 5:33
My mother quickly stepped between them.
妈妈很快就走在他们之间。
5:34 - 5:37
She told me to take Arabella back downstairs.
她告诉我把阿拉贝拉带回楼下。
5:38 - 5:41
She said she would handle Arabella's mother.
她说她会处理阿拉贝拉的母亲。
5:41 - 5:44
So, I brought Arabella down.
所以,我把阿拉伯拉拉带下来。
5:45 - 5:47
I gave her a glass of water.
我给了她一杯水。
5:48 - 5:50
I asked if she was alright.
我问她是否没事。
5:51 - 5:53
Arabella didn't answer.
阿拉伯拉没有回答。
5:54 - 5:56
She just stared at the floor.
她只是盯着地板。
5:56 - 5:57
Her hands were shaking.
她的手颤抖了。
5:57 - 6:01
After a few minutes, I asked her again.
几分钟后,我又问她。
6:01 - 6:04
I asked if she could tell me what had happened.
我问她能不能告诉我发生了什么事。
6:05 - 6:08
Arabella looked at me. She said, She said, she said she just surveyed.
阿拉贝拉看着我,她说,她说,她说她刚刚调查。
6:08 - 6:08
So, she said, She said,
她说,她说,
6:08 - 6:09
I didn't bleed.
我没有流血。
6:10 - 6:11
I didn't understand.
我不明白。
6:11 - 6:13
I said, what?
我说,什么?
6:14 - 6:16
I had no idea what she meant.
我不知道她是什么意思。
6:16 - 6:22
Arabella was about to explain, but before she could, my mother came.
阿拉贝拉即将解释,但在她可以之前,我的母亲来了。
6:23 - 6:25
She walked over to us.
她向我们走过。
6:25 - 6:28
She told Arabella to go back to her house.
她告诉阿拉贝拉回到她的家。
6:29 - 6:33
I felt angry because I still didn't understand.
我很生气,因为我还不明白。
6:33 - 6:37
After six months, Arabella got divorced.
六个月后,阿拉伯拉离婚了。
6:38 - 6:38
That's it.
这就是它。
6:39 - 6:40
The story is over.
故事结束了。
6:40 - 6:41
Well, almost.
好吧,几乎。
6:41 - 6:44
I forgot to mention something important.
我忘了提到重要的事情。
6:45 - 6:49
Arabella's in -laws threw her out for one reason.
阿拉贝拉的法律因为一个原因把她扔出去。
6:49 - 6:51
She was not a virgin.
她不是处女。
6:51 - 6:52
That was it.
这就是它。
6:52 - 6:53
That was the crime.
这就是犯罪。
6:54 - 6:55
That was the shame.
这就是耻辱。
6:56 - 6:59
Losing virginity before marriage?
结婚前失去童贞
6:59 - 7:01
How dare she?
她怎么敢?
7:01 - 7:04
How shameless, people said.
多么无耻,人们说。
7:04 - 7:07
Well, her father died when she was young.
她的父亲在她年轻时去世了。
7:08 - 7:10
This is what happens.
这就是发生的事情。
7:10 - 7:13
This is what you get when you send girls to college.
这就是你送女孩去大学时得到的。
7:14 - 7:18
His is what you get when you give them freedom.
他的就是你得到的,当你给他们自由。
7:18 - 7:28
Even here in America, there are still countless ways people judge whether you are pure or not.
即使在美国,人们仍然有无数的方式来判断你是否纯洁。
7:28 - 7:34
In some areas, the white bedsheet test still exists.
在某些地区,白色床单测试仍然存在。
7:34 - 7:38
If you don't bleed on your wedding night, you fail.
如果你在婚礼之夜没有出血,你就失败了。
7:39 - 7:40
You don't get your
你没有得到你的
7:40 - 7:41
approval.
批准。
7:42 - 7:43
You don't get your validation.
你没有得到你的验证。
7:44 - 7:45
You are labeled.
你被标记了。
7:46 - 7:47
You are shamed.
你害羞了。
7:48 - 7:49
You are sent away.
你被送走了。
7:50 - 7:56
But the question was never whether Arabella was a virgin or not.
但问题从来不是阿拉贝拉是否是处女。
7:57 - 8:01
The real question was whether she was pure.
真正的问题是她是否纯洁。
8:01 - 8:04
And who gets to decide that?
谁能决定这一点呢?
8:04 - 8:05
Society.
社会。
8:06 - 8:07
Always society.
总是社会。
8:08 - 8:12
You know, our whole lives, we try to be good.
你知道,我们一生都在努力做善事。
8:13 - 8:19
Good daughter, good sister, good wife, good friend, good lover.
好女儿,好妹妹,好妻子,好朋友,好情人。
8:20 - 8:23
But we forget that relationships come and go.
但是我们忘记了,关系会来,会去。
8:24 - 8:27
People come and go.
人们来和去。
8:27 - 8:30
But first, we have to be good humans.
首先,我们必须是好人。
8:30 - 8:34
We tried so hard to make everyone happy.
我们努力让每个人都快乐。
8:34 - 8:36
But no one was satisfied.
但没有人满意。
8:37 - 8:39
Not our families.
不是我们的家庭。
8:39 - 8:40
Not our partners.
不是我们的合作伙伴。
8:41 - 8:42
Not our lovers.
不是我们的爱人。
8:42 - 8:43
Not society.
不是社会。
8:44 - 8:48
Your reputation can be destroyed in a single moment.
你的声誉可以在一瞬间被摧毁。
8:49 - 8:53
One mistake and everything you built is gone.
一个错误,你所建造的一切都消失了。
8:54 - 8:56
Arabella was never my enemy.
阿拉伯拉从来不是我的敌人。
8:56 - 8:58
She was my friend.
她是我的朋友。
8:58 - 9:04
She taught me that someone's opinion can never define your character.
她告诉我,别人的意见永远不能定义你的性格。
9:04 - 9:06
Only you can do that.
只有你才能做到这一点。
9:06 - 9:08
I felt proud of her.
我为她感到骄傲。
9:09 - 9:11
She fought for herself.
她为自己而战。
9:11 - 9:16
There are many medical reasons why women don't bleed on their first night.
女性在第一天晚上不流血的原因有很多。
9:17 - 9:22
And none of them have anything to do with who a woman really is.
这些都与一个女人真正是谁无关。
9:22 - 9:28
So before you judge, maybe take a moment and learn the truth.
所以,在你评判之前,也许要花一点时间去了解真相。
9:29 - 9:35
If you liked this story, please like, comment, share, and subscribe.
如果你喜欢这个故事,请喜欢,评论,分享和订阅。